Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Turkey Day

Well I hope that you all had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was pretty good. I tried to get Emma to watch a little of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but she wasn't interested. I remember they used to have a lot more balloons in the parade when I was growing up. Now it is all dancers and famous people.

Cam and I made our own Thanksgiving meal this year, and I was pretty much in the kitchen from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm. Whew! Things turned out well. My gravy was a little greasy, and the green bean casserole ended up being green bean soup, but the important things turned out well. Here is my turkey.



I also had to make the famous Owens rolls. I have made them a couple of times, and they are getting better, but just not quite the way they are supposed to be. Here is the story behind the rolls:




When Cameron's Grandma Lerue was living in Texas during World War II while her husband was stationed there. She was approached one day at the post office by a nice looking man who asked if she was a soldier's wife. When she said she was, he asked if she had a driver's license. She again said yes. Many women at that time didn't drive. He then asked if she was looking for work. Although she had a job she was curious to know what he had in mind. The man, a Mr. Connelly, was looking for a part-time caregiver for his invalid wife. Lerue began taking Mrs. Connelly out to lunch a few times a week in addition to other duties. Mrs. Connelly liked to go over the state line into Oklahoma to a special restaurant. One day Lerue asked to see the chef to compliment him on his wonderful Parkerhouse rolls. She then asked for the recipe, and that became the rolls that Cameron's Grandma was famous for.

After we ate, we were invited over to a friends house for pie. There were a couple of families there, and a lot of pie. Two pumpkin cheesecakes, 2 apple, a coconut cream, a chocolate, and I believe a pecan pie. It was all really good. I missed being near family, but we had great friends around and there isn't anything better than my husband and children.


1 comments:

JaNae said...

I'm glad you had a good time! If you're here next year, maybe we'll be able to have it together!